Fellowships & Awards
PAS offers the following funding to support graduate studies at Northwestern. Please click on the name of each award to learn more and find application instructions.
- Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS): Award to encourage the study of less commonly taught African languages.
- Carter and Annan Fellowships for African PhD Students: Award for incoming graduate students which provides full tuition for three academic years.
- Guyer-Virmani Award: Award for advanced graduate students for continued research or conference travel.
- Hans E. Panofsky Pre-Dissertation Awards: Award to support pre-dissertation fieldwork or archival research in Africa.
- Morris Goodman Awards: Award to support the study of African languages.
- Working Groups Award: Award to support interdisciplinary collaboration and research.
- John Hunwick Research Fund: Award to support the study of Islam in Africa.
- PAS Travel Awards: Award for expenses related to conference travel.
To apply for a PAS award or search for other sorces of fundung, visit the Application Portal.